- "If you run from neks, or Vong, they won't respect you. They'll chase you, drag you down, and kill you."
- ―Wedge Antilles
They were originally bred for use as animal weapons during the wars that erupted on Cyborrea, although they became hot black market items later on. The neks were fitted with armor and cyborg implants. The implants made the canines fearless, increased their battle prowess, and allowed the nek's handler to control the animal in battle.
They were used by King Frane of Rutan to hunt kudana. King Frane's youngest son, Taroon, tried to use modified seeker droids to destroy the kennels where the neks were housed, in an attempt to frame his older brother Leed so that he would be denied the throne of Rutan. His plan was stopped when the Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi told him that one of his friends was currently caring for the neks at the kennels.
During the Imperial Civil War on Coruscant in 10 ABY, scavenger groups used neks to chase off enemies. On Ziost in 40 ABY, Ben Skywalker was attacked by a pack of wild neks resulting in the death of one and the injuring of two others.
A curse used on Nar Shaddaa went: "Nek take it."
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars Miniatures Battles Companion
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Third Edition
- Alien Anthology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Galaxy at War
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- The Essential Guide to Warfare