A squadron was any group of coordinated aerial or space warships. They could be made up of Starfighters, Bombers, Gunships, and Capital ships. Squadrons could be permanent or temporary and were used for a variety of missions. The most common make up for starfighter squadrons was 12 ships.
Starfighters were used in a huge variety of missions. The most common were attack missions, seek and destroy, escorts and reconnaissance.
Bombers were used to assault ground targets or larger warships.
Gunships were used to seek and destroy starfighters and bombers and/or to protect capital ships.
Capital ships were sometimes called groups instead of squadrons; however, they were essentially used in the same way as their smaller counterparts, only on a larger scale.
Typically Squadrons operated under a squadron commander, with an Executive Officer, and Second in command. Their personal ranks varied depending on the type of squadron. For Example; a starfighter squadron may have a Commander or Captain, while a squadron of Capital Ships would be under a full Admiral, Commodore, or General.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter
- "A World to Conquer"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 2 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
- The Star Wars Sourcebook
- Imperial Sourcebook
- Rebel Alliance Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition
- "The Free-Trader's Guide to Sevarcos"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 2
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- Star Wars: Rebellion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars Trading Card Game - The Empire Strikes Back (TCG) (Card: )
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Legacy Era Campaign Guide
- Galaxy at War
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide
- Strongholds of Resistance